Sunday, September 16, 2007

Another Post on Facebook

Being a skeptical user of Facebook (and social networking, in general), I keep looking for news articles, blog posts etc which talk about the the pros and cons of such networks. Today, I read an interesting post by Christopher Herot.

Though I understand that Facebook is a good way to keep in touch with friends and keep them updated about the happenings on your own life, but sometimes I do feel that by doing this we are making ourselves too visible on internet. Is it good or bad, that depends on one's point of view. Do I really want people in my professional network to see my pictures while partying? Do I really want potential recruiters or hiring manager to know about my personal life and social circle, even before they come to know me professionally? Probably, not. So the easy solution is to control the security settings and put only restricted content on the profile. Then, how will I keep others updated about myself?

It appears to be a Catch-22 situation. I will leave it to you to find your own suitable solution. Please let me know, if you find one.

Here is an excerpt of the post I mentioned earlier:

"It seems you can't open a blog these days without reading a post about Facebook. Some marvel at the growth in membership (and wonder what all those old people are doing there), some cover the number of applications (or conferences devoted to people who want to build one), but the most interesting are those that deal with some of continuing controversies, such as: * Is Facebook adequately protecting privacy * Is it really a good platform for building applications * Can one product serve them all."

For complete post, click here.

No comments: